Friday, June 19, 2009

Mexico, here we come!

Tomorrow, bright and early, a team of 20 from our church, including Derek, Connor, and myself, will be heading to Ensenada, Mexico for one week. We are super excited! So excited that I was up at 5:30 this morning just giddy. Three years ago Derek and I had this opportunity and tomorrow we get to return with Connor. What a blessing to serve Jesus with my children! We will be spending much of our time at the Gabriel House, which is a special needs orphanage. While watching a video in church on Sunday, I peeked over at Selah, who had silent tears falling down her cheeks. She asked me if these children had parents...evidently it sparked some memories for her. Selah spent 71/2 years in a special needs orphanage in China--she is now talking of the many children who remain, the unseen. When she and I visited her old home, the "big people" were very secretive, really protective of what was going on behind closed doors. Day by day, we are getting answers and the answers are breaking our hearts. So, so many children, unseen by many of us yet completely in the eye of the Lord. He is watching them...He is watching us. I'm convinced He is watching what we are doing for one another...this stirs my heart this morning. Here in the land of plenty, in the land of freedom, never wondering where my next meal is coming from...how do I not break and grieve for the many who are hungry, for the many who are unseen? I am praying today that God will break our hearts as we travel to Ensenada, that He will penetrate them so deeply that we will see these precious, precious children through His eyes, that we will love them with the love of Christ, that we will be His hands and feet, and most importantly, that we will not forget. I pray this for myself, for Derek and Connor, and for my 17 friends that will be traveling alongside us.

My bag is packed--today I will be prodding my boys a little more than yesterday. Today I will also be spending some sweet time with my girls, knowing that I will be missing them dearly starting tomorrow. And Curtis...what a man! I'm so grateful that he allows me these opportunities, never griping about what his life is going to be like the next week with a couple of high maintenance missies, a cowgirl, a ball team that still needs coaching, cooking, oh yeah--and a job. I'm blessed! And I know it.

Have a beautiful week!
Love,
Gayle

No comments: